Re: Re: Re: ldapadd -> ldap_bind: Invalid credentials

At 11:31 AM 2002-06-08, Subba Rao wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Thank you for replying.
>
>I do have the following entry in my slapd.conf
>
>        rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=mydom,dc=com,o=Columbus,c=US"

but your suffix is:
        dc=mydom,dc=com

There is no way this database configuration will be used to
authentication cn=Manager,dc=mydom,dc=com,o=Columbus,c=US as
cn=Manager,dc=mydom,dc=com,o=Columbus,c=US is not within its
naming context.

slapd should complain when you go to set rootpw, but presently
it doesn't.

>I am lost with the DN and similar stuff. Where do I learn the key syntax of LDAP?

Well, RFC 2253 details the string representation of a DN.  But you'd
like be better off starting off reading the OpenLDAP Admin Guide and
following the Quick Start Guide it provides.

>Since the above entry is in my slapd.conf, why is the system still spewing out the
>"Invalid credentials" error message?

Because it has no database capable of authentication the asserted DN.

>The 3 things I would like to do with LDAP are setup authentication for remote VPN users,
>mapping the systems on the network, setting up mail (Qmail + LDAP). I don't know the
>real use of the 3rd item in my list yet.

These are applications of LDAP.  You'll have to consult document
for the particular applications on how to set them up.

Kurt