not able to log in users in ldap yet

working on getting ldap going for a small home network using the IDEALX howto.  It is missing a few pieces for the newbie to ldap, but I think I've gotten the pieces installed but not working together yet on a RH 7.2 box.

I can add a user with smbldap-useradd and those entries show in my user file along with showing up with 'getent passwd'

I can change the password for the testuser, or so it tells me.

But I cannot log in with ssh testuser1@webby

input_userauth_request: illegal user  shows in my /usr/log/secure file.

Following upteen FAQ's and threads, perhaps I need to migrate more of my "system" files to ldap?

Alan

Epson Inkjet Printer FAQ: http://welcome.to/epson-inkjet