Problem with searching

I have the following situation:

An attribute a1 which is a single valued NumericString with NumericStringMatch

It is an optional attribute in ObjectClass o1.

When I do a search like (a1=*), I get all the objectclasses which contain the attribute a1. That is exactly what I would expect.

When I do a search on (a1=3456), I get the objectclasses which have 3456 as the value of the attribute. Again exactly what I would expect.

However, when I do a search on (a1=3*), I get no results back, even if I have objectclasses which have the attribute a1 with a value that matches that pattern.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rohit