Performance with indexes

Good day,

I'm having some performance problems under Red Hat 7.3 (openldap 2.0.23).

I've just imported some data from another LDAP database, which contains
information about some hosts.  I had done some queries on the "hostName"
attribute, which there had been no index on.  Each search took about 30
seconds to complete, which wasn't fast enough for what I wanted to do.

So, I stopped the server and added:

index   hostname        eq

to the conf file.  I ran slapindex, chown'ed the new "hostName.gdbm" index
file to the ldap user, and then started the server.

After all that, there was absolutely no change in performance, though.  The
queries still take 30 seconds to complete.

The ldap server logs the request properly:

conn=0 op=1 SRCH base="<my basedn here>" scope=2
filter="(hostName=host.domain.com)"

Is there any reason why this index would not have helped?  I would have
thought that this type of query would have been exactly the sort that would
have been speeded up by an
"eq" index.

Is there anything else that I could check, beyond the logs?

Thanks in advance!

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP