RE: LDAP as NIS or LDAP+NIS?

> Hi, Everybody!
>
> I set up OpenLDAP in order to work as an authentication server (for CVS,
> Apache's directories, etc.), but I'd also like to use LDAP to centralize
> the Linux/Windows (SAMBA) accounts of a network. I have been reading
> HOWTO's and checking the OpenLDAP's mailing list, and everything points
> to I have to use NIS with LDAP.
>
> My doubt is if I have to set up NIS for reading the accounts'
> information from the LDAP server or if I have to set up LDAP in order to
> work as a NIS server.

Luis,

There is no need to run ldap and NIS together unless you
want to do automounting for Unix systems.

I am currently running a project to setup ldap authentication
and access control for Solaris/Linux/Windows, webservers,
radius server, proxy server, etc as well as storing all
address book type information using openldap. The only reason I
have found to have nis around, is to deal with automounting home
directories on my solaris and linux servers (solaris doesnt do
automounting via ldap very well).

BTW, you should really post this question to the
ldap@umich.edu mailing list. This list is openldap software
specific.

Thanks,
Mike