Client reconnect capabilities in OpenLDAP 2.0.23?

Title: Client reconnect capabilities in OpenLDAP 2.0.23?

I've been going through the openldap source code (2.0.23) trying to determine
the code path for cases when a connection to an LDAP server goes away
(for instance, a timeout) before a client request is made.  So far it looks like
a SERVER_DOWN error is returned - although I though I heard that OpenLDAP
would try to do a behind-the-scenes reconnect.  Is this something that was
put in after 2.0.23 perhaps?

If this feature is not in 2.0.23, could someone suggest a way to maintain the
same LDAP structure on a client, yet somehow have it's connection info
(file diescriptor, etc.) altered to reflect a new connection?  Is this easily done?
Is it a waste of time?  The only way I was aware of to "reconnect" was to
destroy the whole LDAP structure and then issue a new ldap_init() and
so on to establish the new connection - but I'd like to be able to not
lose the original LDAP structure (caching info, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have...

- Dave Sloat