increased performance

I have a small ldap directory (~100 entries) that I use for IMAP/POP authentication on my mail server.  I'm trying to increase performance of the directory and came up with the idea to place the directory (/var/lib/ldap/*) on to a ramdrive.  My question is how would I sync those files on the ramdrive with a physical drive.  Is there a way to get openldap to use the ramdrive for all reads and send writes to both the ramdrive and a backup set of files (say /var/lib/ldap-back). On bootup the ramdrive would be mounted and the files from /var/lib/ldap-back copied to it.  The reverse obviously happening on halt.

thanks,

Aaron