how do I create a CA for openLDAP for use in tomcat

Hi Everyone,
I've looked all over for an answer for this one, but
can't seem to create the right kind of certificate.
Basically, I want tomcat to do LDAPS queries on my
openldap server. When  try to do this via a simple
Java class, I get

"NamingException:javax.naming.CommunicationException:
simple bind failed: digdug.dsc.com:636 [Root exception
is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Couldn't find
trusted certificate]"

 What I think I need to do is create a key (i.e.
/usr/bin/openssl genrsa 1024 > openldap.key) then
import the key into jsse (i.e. keytool -import
-keystore ~/.keystore -file server.key). When I try my
example I get the following error.

"keytool error:
java.security.cert.CertificateParsingException: signed
overrun, bytes = 239"

Anyone had any luck with this??
Thanks,
Ryan