OpenLdap question

Can i use OpenLdap server without any authentication/security protocols?
I have a driver which can send queries to an LDAP server and receive/interpret results from an OpenLdap server.This server is located somewhere in California and we are located in far east.
So i want to install a OpenLdap server in my office.
Can i just grab open source code build and install?

Second question
Could i just make use of SSL protocol with OpenLdap server instead of all SSL,Kerberos,SASL together?

I need OpenLdap server for just one thing
store port numbers,machine names,network names and few attribute values.
Thats all.
Can anyone help me out?