getaddrinfo() fails on AIX 4.3.3. 0 without fixes.

Hi,

To save someone from having the same headaches again, I thought I'd better let you know what I've found about some older AIX 4.3.3.0 systems.

I found that there was a problem in ldap_connect_to_host() in os-ip.c in libldap. There has some stuff to deal with IPv6 which requires getaddrinfo(). AIX 4.3.3 has getaddrinfo but it fails if it's second parameter (a port number in a string) is not NULL. For my purposes I undef'd HAVE_GETADDRINFO in portable.h (don't need IPv6) and that sorted out my problems.

I compiled openldap 2.0.23 with openssl and cyrus-sasl libraries (statically because otherwise I get segfaults when libldap functions call liblber ones). I found that I was failing to bind to the ldap server. Looking at the server, it wasn't getting anything at all.

I am downloading fix level 10 which will, I hope, fix the function itself - it certainly should given that that there is 480MB of it :-). The IBM patch number that fixes getaddrinfo() is IY02197.

It would be great to work up a macro that could be used to detect this broken function in configure but I haven't the knowledge yet.

Regards,

Tim