Re: attribute tag returned via search different to value in schema

At 10:34 AM +0200 21/5/02, Norbert Klasen wrote:
--On Dienstag, 21. Mai 2002 11:12 +0930 Mark Prior <mrp@mrp.net> wrote:

For example, if you list the attributes in the pilotPerson you will find
mobileTelephoneNumber but if you create an object that contains
objectclass pilotPerson and set a value for mobileTelephoneNumber and
then search for the object it is returned as "mobile". This is not very
helpful if you are trying to create an application that allows a user to
fill in these values.

Which is the "correct" value and why aren't they the same? Also what do
other people do about this "strangeness"?

Both are correct:
attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.41
NAME ( 'mobile' 'mobileTelephoneNumber' )
EQUALITY telephoneNumberMatch
SUBSTR telephoneNumberSubstringsMatch
SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.50 )
The NAME of an attribute type can have multiple values. Implementations generally use the first one in the list when returning AttributeValueAssertions.

I suspect I worded my query poorly but I guess your answer addresses the problem anyway when you say "generally use the first one". If there is no consistent interpretation (when within the same "package") then you are going to have this problem. I guess it's time to start "fixing" the perl module I am using to make it at least consistent with itself if nothing else.

I will note that telephoneNumberMatch is broken too since it doesn't appear to strip spaces and dashes prior to comparison.

Mark.