ldapmodify question

Hi Everyone,
   I'm trying to figure out whether or not this is possible using
ldapmodify.
   We have a list of user email aliases that is taken each night from our
H.R. database and dumped into a file. I have a perl program that takes the
information from that file and converts it into LDIF form for entry into
the OpenLDAP db.
   More often than not the information doesn't change but when it does I want
to be able to use ldapmodify/ldapadd to add the changes from the file to the
LDAP db.
   The problem lies in the fact that I don't want to try and add items
such as 'modify','replace', or 'delete' to the LDIF file. I simply want to
force the changes. From what I'm reading of the documentation that doesn't
really seem possible.
   I'm hoping that someone on the list can tell me whether or not it is
actually possible to do?

Thanks,
Harry Hoffman
Systems/Network Engineer