problems using ldap_search_ext_s

Hi,
I was having problems binding to the ldap server using the ldap_init call on the solaris platform...i can connect fine on NT using ldap_init.  So, I am now connecting to LDAP using the ldap_open call...and I am able to bind to the server, but the next call, which is ldap_search_ext_s, fails with the following problem:

Assertion failed: LDAP_VALID( ld ), file search.c, line 101

I am including some of the code below...can anyone help me on why this is not working on solaris. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nikie

LDAP *ld= NULL;
if (connect(ld) != 0)
   {
		return 1;
	}

	// make search call
   if( ldap_search_ext_s( ld,
                          (inServiceBase == NULL) ? adapterServiceBase:inServiceBase,
                          scope,
                          filter,
                          attrs ,
                          0,