Connecting to LDAP with a multithreaded client

Hi,
I am having problems connecting to the ldap server with a multithreaded client on solaris.  We try to connect to ldap using ldap_bind_s using the simple authentication method. Before this, we call ldap_init. This method of connection works for our other applications that connect from the main thread of the program, but the application that is having problems connect from a thread other than the main thread (We get a return code of 81). Is there something special that needs to be done while connecting in a multithreaded environment?

Thanks,
Nikie Parikh