difference between passwd and ldappasswd?

I've just realized that there's a big difference between passwd and ldappasswd
(or am I wrong?)

I'm using Redhat 7.3 with authentication from LDAP.  When I do a getent
passwd, the user's entries are different:

testone:5a$cXdwML3j$Gm97On43TqRsd/eZ/qwrk.:501:501:testtwo:/home/testtwo:/bin/bash
testtwo:x:502:502:testtwo:/home/testtwo:/bin/bash

When I change the user testtwo's password with ldappasswd, the entry remains
the same.  But when I change using passwd (passwd recognized that the entries
are in LDAP) the result will be as testone.

But still, using both method, I'm unable to "su" to another user (with
incorrect password error), unless I'm root (which doesn't require password).
So I guess there's some steps that I did wrongly.  But one thing that puzzles
me is that, a telnet to localhost and login as another user is ok.  So I'm
confused whether the problem is the password, or the /etc/pam.d/su.

Can anyone help?