RE: Howto setup SASL for OpenLDAP for Samba?

I haven't checked Samba 2.2.4 but if it supports ldapi (local access via
Unix domain socket) then you should use that, and no, you would not need any
encryption between Samba and OpenLDAP. You may still want SASL if you want
to allow other remote clients to bind to LDAP directly.

  -- Howard Chu