Re: Objectclass Posixaccount: syntax for homedirectory to include home on a central host

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 12:04:25AM +0100, Guenther Schmidt wrote:

> I would like to set it up so that I can login locally and be
> authenticated via LDAP and my home directory gets automatically mounted
> via amd (auto mounter on FreeBSD). It seems to me that my Posixaccount
> entry on the LDAP server would have to include not only the absolute
> path, i.e. /home/me but also $host/home/me or something like this in
> order for amd to mount.

I would suggest *not* encoding the server name in the homedir path.
The mapping from paths to actual locations is best done by the
automounter so that you can move homedirs around without having to
change users' ideas of where their files are found.

One scheme I have used with great success is based on the idea of
groups of users. Each user is a member of a group, and all the
homedirs for that group are kept together. Homedirs then have the
form:

	/home/<groupname>/<username>

AMD or Automount is then used to control /home and maps have the form:

<groupname>	<actual location of group directory>

Andrew
|        Andrew.Findlay@skills-1st.co.uk       +44 1628 782565        |