RE: broken pipe - serious problem with OpenLDAP 2.0.21

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 11:36, John Green wrote:
> Just my two cents worth...
> I recently set up an LDAP server w/Kerberos/SASL authentication. I am using
> RH72. It worked nicely with the 2.0.11 rpms, but when I attempted the exact
> same install with the 2.0.21 rpms it failed every time, no communication via
> SASL to Kerberos. I had originally thought it was incompatibility with newer
> LDAP/older SASL, but since then I've heard numerous stories about RH's
> 2.0.21 rpm not working for various reasons. I would probably place the blame
> on that, rather than the LDAP version itself. If you want to use rpms (as I
> did) I would recommend using the older version (also as I did).

Our problems are not with the kerberos interaction.  Kerberos has been
working fine for months, and has been communicating with OpenLDAP just
fine.  This problem I'm having is not just with 2.0.21.  I've had it for
the last 2 or 3 redhat OpenLDAP releases including 2.0.16, 2.0.18 and
2.0.21.  So it's not kerberos.  It's definitely in OpenLDAP, or maybe
there's some data corruption going on or something.  I'm thinking it may
have to do with resource allocation.  Maybe there's not enough threads
or maximum allowable connections.

The older version had significant problems on our system, including
core-dumps.  Never did figure that one out.

But for the record, OpenLDAP 2.0.21 works fine with SASL and Kerbers as
shipped by RedHat, other than this major problem which I have had with
several versions of openldap.

Michael

--
Public key available from http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem