Re: Number of connections

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Adam Williams wrote:

> >Can anybody tell me how many simultaneous connections can be served
> >by the openldap server (2.0.23 with Red Hat Linux 7.1).
> >I have seen the code and it seems that there is a thread pool with 32
> >threads. Does it mean that server only can attend 32 connections at the
> >same time?
>
> Yes.  But answering a request should be very quick,  and the thread then
> processes the next request.  I suppose you could try increasing the
> thread pool, but I don't know if that will work.  In actuality (ever
> case I've seen) 32 is alot of concurrent queries.

Yes, increasing the thread pool does work fine.

You can set the number of threads and concurrent connections with:

threads		<number of threads to run at max>
concurrency	<number of concurrent connections to allow>

One other thing to note, slapd uses select, and is therefore limited to
1024 concurrent connections due to the limit of __FD_SETSIZE (I ran into
this in some scalability testing I was doing).  If it were using poll then
the limit would be more scalable.

Of course, if you can run a read server with 1024 connections, I'm sure
you're doing fairly good...

We generally set concurrency slightly less then threads.

Regards
James Bourne

--
James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or