Cannot_bind_to_slapd

I am getting this when I try to add info from the new ldif file, called
first.ldif:

[root@peyton openldap]# ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=<floweb>,dc=<net>" -W
-f first.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials
[root@peyton openldap]#

Once again, I have run into password issues of some sort, most likely b/c of
an error on my part in creating the 2 character salt string via perl -e.
What are 2 good characters to use? Letters? Numbers? I used the letters 'i'
and 'v' in the line:

perl -e "print crypt ('blah','iv');"

iv9xKuj9buQb

With the crypt line put in place in the slapd.conf file - the plain text
password above is commented out. Still no luck.

Currently, I am trying to use the plain text password, any plain text
password, to authent myself, and have commented out the crypt password line
altogether... but still nothing, the same error above. I have tried this in
root and as a regular user.

After this, I have now commented out both password lines in the slapd.conf
file, and still the same thing. I read somewhere concerning this issue on
the archives that something, maybe the dn, needed to be normalized? I do
know I have NOT performed any type of 'write' command in the setup so far.
The server is running with no errors and once again, I can see it in the
client (GQ) with my domain listed, but I have yet to add anything b/c of
authent issues. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help on this.

-kirby
http://www.floweb.net