Re: SSL problems, certificate missmatch

--On Freitag, 12. April 2002 01:43 -0700 Leila Lappin <galaxylappin@comcast.net> wrote:

I came across this problem because when I do ldapsearch without -ZZ I get
the data I'm expecting to see.  But when I do the same search with -ZZ
option I only get "ldap_start_tls: Success" and no data.   I looked
through diagnostics on the client side and saw an error with mismatched
hostnames on certificates.  It's clear that two different certificates
are being used by the client and server but why and how can I fix it?

You need to use the hostname that is specified in the certificate (either as CN attribute in the DN or as subjectAltName of type DNS) as the hostname you connect to. If these two don't match, the connection is aborted because this mismatch could result from a Man-in-the-Middle attack.

--
Norbert Klasen, Dipl.-Inform.
DAASI International GmbH                 phone: +49 7071 29 70336