Getting and Putting Group Info in an LDIF Entry

I want to create an LDIF that will be for a single entry, like:

dn: uid=JoeBlow,ou=ABC,o=usandthem

I want to include the groups information for all the groups Joe belongs to
so that when I use the ldif to add an entry to a similar LDAP server, the
LDIF will correctly populate the database for his entry and his entry into
the groups.

Can this be done using command line utilities to create an LDIF?

How would one do this programmatically? (Although it would be a great plus
if I can use the command line utilities inside a script/batch file).

Thanks!