Re: Unable to insert UTF-8 converted entries...

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:01:26PM +0200, François-Xavier LAMARE wrote:
> 	I've got a problem with UTF-8 formatted ldifs !!
>
> 	I'm French and i'd like to insert entries with special caracters (like
> "é" ) .
>
> 	I did the conversion of my ldif file from LATIN-1 to UTF-8 using the tool
> iconv :
>
> >>  iconv snapshot.ldif -f LATIN1 -t UTF8 -o snapshot.utf8 --verbose
>
> 	But then, when I insert those entries (ldapadd -f snapshot.utf8), the
> ldapadd program always stops at the same entry with the error :
>
> 			Invalid Syntax
> 				additional info: gecos: value #0 invalid per syntax
>
> 	Must i set smthing in the ldap's server (I thought ldap v3 was UTF-8
> compliant...)

The problem here seems to be that the gecos attribute in posixAccount
has a syntax that only allows ASCII (IA5). If you really want to have
non-ascii characters like é in gecos you will have to change the schema.

I find this a bit annoying myself...

Stig