runaway slapd threads

I am running slapd 2.0.23 (using the Debian sid binary packages), which is compiled with threads, on Linux 2.4.17. I am confused by slapd's threading model.

I currently have 34 threads, but I thought that slapd maxed out at 32 threads (I have not changed the threads parameter in slapd.conf). Furthermore, some of the threads are up to 4 days old; shouldn't they have been killed off by now?

Could someone please explain the criteria for creating and destroying slapd threads? Does slapd maintain a pool to threads for re-use?

Is it possible I'm not terminiating unused TCP connections fast enough? (Do v3 LDAP querries send a FIN packet when done?) If so, is there some way to tune the kernel to disconnect faster? Or is something else going on entirely?

Thanks. Confused,
David