search filter problems

I'm having some problems with certain search filters.

I have an application that is interfacing to openldap through the netscape C API.  In my application, if I do an ldap_search with the following filter, it finds the record correctly:

(UserName=Kevin Hicks)                               where the attribute value is "Kevin Hicks" (one space in middle)

However, the following filters do not find anything:

(UserName=Kevin Hicks(dev)                       where the attribute value is "Kevin HIcks(dev"

(UserName=Kevin  Hicks)                             where the attribute value is "Kevin  Hicks"  (two spaces in middle)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin Hicks