From: Oberwetter, josh [mailto:joberwetter@grownetwork.com]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 8:59 PM
To: 'Mahesh Patil'
Cc: 'openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org'
Subject: RE: using userPassword attribute

No, they're not "junk". They're base64 encoded, as Adam said. See the different constructors for the String class.
The LDAP browser makes the value legible by changing the encoding, e.g.

byte[] junk = /* get the bytes here */
String legible = new String((byte[]) value);

I've looked at the source for the Java browser -- the piece that displays the userPassword attribute is hidden behind an interface, and the various implementations can do things to the bytes like change character encodings and decryption.

Generally the LDAP client is responsible for encrypting and decrypting data. You can do so in any number of ways. If you're coding in Java, I suggest that you learn a few things about the Java crypto API.

But these questions aren't necessarily relevant to the OpenLDAP mailing list. On this list you might ask things like "what attributetype should I use to store the encrypted value?"