RE: Yet Another Beginner Question

Excellent questions. There is a management framework that is used to
maintain
synchronization for a network of managed systems. In principle you can use
exactly the same mechanisms as you would use in the NSS + LDAP slaves
scenario. I.e., by observing the lastmod date and maintaining checksums on
entries in each file, you can generate a replog that can be used with slurpd
to update all of your other machines. There is of course a fanout problem if
you want to keep a large number of machines in sync. This isn't the exact
approach we use, but I think by pointing it out you can understand that it's
a solvable problem, and we have solved it.

Failures on the master /etc/passwd system just mean that single machine is
down and password changes won't be propagated until it returns. All other
machines continue to operate normally.

> Why did you develop your UnixAuth agent ? Is it because the
> passwd backend back-passwd
> doesn't support writing ? Would it not have been easier to
> implement that ?

Yes, it would have been simpler, but that would miss the point. We have an
agent framework that we can rapidly deploy to manage any security system; we
have agents for NT (workstations and PDCs) and Oracle, for example. Just
extending back-passwd would not have made it any easier to develop support
for other platforms.

Also, just fleshing out back-passwd on its own is a dangerous thing to do
from a security standpoint. Many people are using LDAP as a general
public-information repository, and as such run with minimal security
controls. It would be inappropriate to even suggest plugging an
administrative interface into such an unprotected LDAP service. Without TLS
or SASL protection on the connections, you really don't want a module that
has write access to /etc/passwd. Our agent framework requires TLS and is
hardcoded to do client certificate checking, so that we have a measure of
protection from misconfiguration.

Just visit us at www.symas.com and contact us from there.

> Regards,
> 	-JP