Re: Migrate from AD

On Thursday 28 March 2002 08:49, Mark H. Wood wrote:
| Do you intend to replace *all* of your Windows hosts with Linux, or to add
| Linux hosts to the mix?
|
| If you only want to add Linux hosts, it will be much easier to leave the
| AD DCs in place.  Linux-based LDAP tools should be able to exchange
| information with AD.  For authentication, you'll need to install Kerberos
| client code on the Linux hosts, because that's what AD uses for
| authentication.
|
| I don't believe that anyone has ever made a fully-functional replacement
| for an AD server, because the ADS domain security model uses a proprietary
| TDATA attached to the Kerberos principal record to connect the NT security
| model to the Kerberos model, and they won't reveal the details of that
| TDATA's format.  I suppose it might be possible to extract the necessary
| data from a working AD server and stuff it into another Kerberos KDC
| without knowing how the data were created, but I've not heard of anyone
| doing it.*  Without this, Windows hosts will not be able to use domain
| accounts.

I know it's offtopic but this is not entirely true anymore. MS revealed the
structure of the TDATA and you're allowed to implement it, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnkerb/html/MSDN_PAC.asp

Somebody is already working on a implementation for Heimdal AFAIR. And you
can also setup cross-realm authentication between Kerberos and Win2000 (tried
it myself, works fine).

--
Karsten.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."
  -Albert Einstein