Re: OID! what for?

>>>or only if i plan on sharing my directory with someone else?
>>WHat you don't intend to do today you'll have to do tomorrow.
>Will it be harder tomorrow?  Does LDAP store the OID in the records, or
>just in the schema?  (That is, is it easy to go back and change it if
>needed?)

The OID is the true attribute name.  The "names" defined in the schemas
are just aliases.  Define more than one name for anattributetype and
search on any one of them....

>>>what's the drawbacks of NOT registering OIDs?
>>You DSA becomes non-interoperable with any other DSA.  Why bother when an
>>OID is free.
>Because IANA doesn't want to give them out to individuals, only
>companies (according to email I got from them in response to my
>request.)

This is true, and rather frustrating, as their is no developer or
individual branch.  However software projects, and any type of group,
can get one.  They don't do a "legally incorporated?" check, at least
not last I knew.