Re: OID! what for?

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Adam Williams6 wrote:

>>or only if i plan on sharing my directory with someone else?
>
> WHat you don't intend to do today you'll have to do tomorrow.

Will it be harder tomorrow?  Does LDAP store the OID in the records, or
just in the schema?  (That is, is it easy to go back and change it if
needed?)

>>what's the drawbacks of NOT registering OIDs?
>
> You DSA becomes non-interoperable with any other DSA.  Why bother when an
> OID is free.

Because IANA doesn't want to give them out to individuals, only
companies (according to email I got from them in response to my
request.)

> And assuming standard don't apply to them is something a certain software
> company does,  and I haven't heard anyone express ecstatic love for them
> recently.

Must be nice.

Ed