Configuring LDAP and SSL

Hi,

I am trying to set up OpenLDAP having secure connectivity with
clients and other LDAP servers.

I am following the docs at:
ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf and
http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html
(great stuff both:))

but I seem to be getting stuck.

Basically I am trying to configure SSL but without Kerberos, since all I want
is to have secure communication.
Now I have the server running on both 389 and 636 ports. If I try to connect
using openssl and check for certs (as in the above pdf), I can see the certs
I created.

But whenever I try to search without the -x option, I get:

ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

OR

is it that the connection to port 636 is encrypted with -x also
and I need to configure kerberos (GSSAPI) for this to work?
I am getting confused here...

so where could I be going wrong?

Thanks for any directions...

Jatin