Using OpenLdap as a global directory server for both win and unix

Title: Using OpenLdap as a global directory server for both win and unix

Has the development of openldap reached that point that i could be used as a global directory
server for both unix and windows? is there any good guides on how to set this up, and is it possible
to use openldap as win2k "password server", and use the same openldap server for the unix enviroment, or even
making nis maps out of ldap entries?
And is there possible to use ldap as a TOTAL replacement of existing nis servers for the different unix platforms (solaris, sgi , hpux, linux, all with multple versions)?

I know my may be a little dumb, but if openldap could be the bridge between the two worlds, then this would
be really neat.