From: Frank Swasey [mailto:Frank.Swasey@uvm.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 3:14 PM
To: Venkataraman, Jeeva
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: Using loglevel

Today at 1:32pm, Venkataraman, Jeeva wrote:

> I have loglevel set in slapd.conf as:
> loglevel       1

man slapd.conf...
  If you want to log everything, add up all those numbers (hint it will
total 4095) and use that as your loglevel.

> And in
> #/etc/syslog.conf
> local4.*                                             /var/log/ldap.log

If you log everything this will hurt performance very badly, if you are
able (ie you are on an OS that supports it), put a "-" (dash) in front
of that filename (so it would be -/var/log/ldap.log) it will help (a
little)

> Is there a difference between these 2 options? Which is better?

-d keeps slapd from becoming a daemon and should only be used for
testing (in my opinion).

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===