ssl/tls sasl and that whole thing...help

I am wanting to secure connections to my ldap server from pam_ldap and
replication and other things like apache's auth_ldap.  I have seen
openssl, sasl, and kerberos.  Can I simply use openssl or must I set up
all three?  I have seen where you can use pot 389 securely and where you
use port 636.

I have seen various docs on how to set up all three but do I need them?
I would prefer a simple certificate like apache, imap, or pop3 use.

Thank you for any insight here.

--
Terry Davis
http://approbation.org/