Searching with >= or <= doesn't work

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.0.11 on both client and server (yes, I
know it's old).

I'm trying to search using the greater or less operators in
RFC 2254.  For example, I want to search for entries with
uidNumber greater than 500:

ldapsearch -h server -P 3 -b dc=example,dc=com -W -x \
    -D cn=root,dc=example,dc=com 'uidNumber>=500'

The command line response is:

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1

I clearly get an error 87: bad filter string if the string is
really bad.  But in my log now I see:

slapd[3005]: conn=3306 op=1 SRCH base="dc=example,dc=com"
scope=2 filter="(badfilter)"

I know there are entries; if I test for simple equality or browse
the directory with GQ or the app I'm working on, it seems just fine.
So, is this a problem in this version of OpenLDAP or am I doing
something wrong?

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

"The only way for a reporter to look at a politician is down."
-- H.L. Mencken