Re: Large Open LDAP Installations?

I'd like to add that "you should know what you're doing (TM)".

In addition to proper indexing, ACL setups and tuning the applications
to make reasonable LDAP queries, we found proper OS & slapd understanding
and setup to be important. In particular you should know about
possible issues and implications with threading, caching and syncing of
the particular kernel/distribution/OpenLDAP combination you're using.

With a proper setup, scalability is not an issue (any reasonably fast
pair of PCs should do). Unless you need WRITE scalability.

Reliability is an issue. While OpenLDAP runs pretty stable, it is not
bug-free (just btw: neither is iplanet).
You should know what to do if something goes wrong (slapd crash,
hardware crash, replication hangs). In particular, you should know
how your application(s) behave(s) once LDAP is down (be aware that
there's a range of possible errors, from sluggish reponse on some
queries to dead hardware and from client-side (e.g. timeouts,
DNS issues) to network (routing issues) and server-side problems.

Other than that ( :-) ), it's great. We're running a 500,000+ entries
directory for a multitude of applications on a distributed, Linux-based system.

Regards,
Markus