Re: ldaps: not working, RH7.2,OpenLDAP 2.0.21

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 16:34, Carl J Meyer wrote:
| I've compiled my own OpenLDAP 2.0.21 on RedHat 7.2 with the RPM version of
| OpenSSL-0.9.6b-8.  I can connect to LDAP just fine using the Start_TLS
| method (ie with -ZZ on the commandline of ldapsearch, connecting to port
| 389), but I cannot connect to ldaps: (port 636) at all - it simply
| says "Can't contact LDAP server" and nothing shows up in the logs.
|  Telnetting to port 636 shows that there is simply
| no service running there - the connection is refused.
|
| The only error I get when slapd starts up is "socket() failed errno=97
| (Address family not supported by protocol)".  For a while I thought
| that was the problem, but I found in the FAQ that that error is just
| from not having IPv6 in my kernel and it shouldn't be related.
|
| I don't have a firewall running AFAIK (unless its something funky that
| RedHat does) - no ipchains anywhere, and I compiled my own
| kernel without netfilter.
|
| The reason I need ldaps:// instead of just Start_TLS is that I need to use
| LDAP with PHP4, which as far as I can tell only supports the ldaps://
| method. If anyone knows of a way to make PHP do Start_TLS then I can be
| satisfied without ldaps://.

Starttls should work in PHP 4.0.6 according to Stig's comment:

ID: 13278
Updated by: venaas
Reported By: kuenne@rentec.com
Old Status: Open
Bug Type: LDAP related
Operating System: Solaris 7
PHP Version: 4.0.6
Assigned To: venaas
New Comment:

I have now added only the ldap_start_tls() function
and it seems to work. To use it you must do something
like:

$ds=ldap_connect($host);
ldap_set_option($ds, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, 3);
ldap_start_tls($ds);
ldap_bind($ds, $dn, $pwd);

It is essential to use LDAPv3 and v2 is default.

--
Karsten.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."
  -Albert Einstein