Insertion of national characters using LDAP 2

Is it possible to insert national characters (norwegian æøå, that is ae oe
and aa) into the directory using LDAP2 and ANSI? We have and old application
which cannot read LDAP3 UTF-8, and therefore need to have the entired
directory bulk-loaded with LDAP2.

If this isn't possible I'm afraid OpenLDAP doesn't suit us, and we would
have to stop the project.

All help is appreciated!

---
Yours sincerely...
Jakob Breivik Grimstveit, Morvikbotn 341, 5122 Morvik, 55195667, 48298152
jakob@grimstveit.net / j@grimstveit.net, www.grimstveit.net