back-ldap configuration

Hi,

What's the proper way to set up back-ldap to perform simple
authentication? Whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to work.
My slapd.conf's back-ldap section is:

database        ldap
suffix          "dc=server,dc=com"
uri             "ldap://target.server.com";
binddn          "cn=Manager,dc=server,dc=com"
bindpw          "temp-passwd"
lastmod         off

When I perform a query, it is routed via back-ldap to the target
server, but no results are returned. If I enable anonymous read in
the target server's ACL, then it works. But that defeats the purpose
of using simple authentication here.

the binddn of "cn=Manager,dc=server,dc=com" does not exist in the
target server's database, but it *does* exist in the target server's
slapd.conf. Does this matter?

Thanks in advance, just trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Jubal