ldap and sendmail integration, vacation messages

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with keeping "vacation" or autoreply
messages in openldap, and have it automatically sent by sendmail?

I know exim has such hooks, but I have not found any information
regarding sendmail. It can be easily done with procmail, but that
would require a homedirectory for each email account. The point
of keeping the info in ldap is to avoid that :)

One idea I have is to replace the mail delivery agent to do the
lookups and reply, and then hand it off to the usual MDA to handle
local delivery.

Thoughts?

/Stefan