what is available for openLDAP slave->master promotion?

Hello,
    I was wondering what solutions exist for monitoring a master
LDAP server and promoting one of its slaves to be its
replacement?  I ask because I need to have high availability on
writing changes to LDAP (deletes, adds, modifies), so
alternately a multi-master solution would work as well (but I
was under the impression that multi-master capability is more
"experimental" for openLDAP than slave->master promotion).