Replication & efficiency question

Hello,

In the admin guide, chapter 10
(http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/replication.html) states that, "In
certain configurations, a single slapd(8) instance may be insufficient to
handle the number of clients requiring directory service via LDAP. It may
become necessary to run more than one slapd instance."  Then it goes on to
give a sample replication scenario in which a client first requests a modify
operation of a slave, is referred to the master, requests a modify operation
of the master and the master performs the operation.  The master also writes
a change to a replication file.  The slurpd process then notifies the slave
of the change.

Here is my question: how is this process going to handle a larger number of
clients?  It seems to me that each client is now forced to endure both a
request to the slave & the (presumably overloaded?) master.  Can someone
give me a clearer view of the picture?  I know I must be perceiving the
example incorrectly.

Thank you,
--Kelley

Kelley Koszegi