Authentication in WinDoze

Title: Message
Well, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that all the examples and such are done with a UNIX shell. While that may be what we wind up running OpenLDAP on in the end (prototype mode at the moment), the prototype box I have is a Win2K based machine.

I've got slapd running and am trying to get a test set built up. Unfortunately, I can't managed to get past the simplest of things - authentication. The service appears to be running just fine, but I'm having problem getting ldap_search to authenticate in. Instead, I run a statement such as (I've tried some other authentication methods too):

C:\>ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts

And get back:

ldap_search: Invalid DN syntax
ldap_search: additional info: invalid DN

the seemingly relevant section (all else is the defaults) of slapd.conf looks something like:

database ldbm
suffix  "dc=netiq,dc=com"
#suffix  "o=netiq,c=US"
rootdn  "cn=Manager,dc=netiq,dc=com"
#rootdn  "cn=Manager,o=WebTrends Division of NetIQ,c=US"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw  secret
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd/tools. Mode 700 recommended.
directory %LOCALSTATEDIR%/openldap-ldbm
# Indices to maintain
index objectClass eq

I must admit that there are a few other problems I'm expecting to have, but this is the one that is perplexing me at the moment. I've never been the worlds greatest UNIX jockey, but I have not (until now) considered myself completely clueless here. Any help on making the authentication translation would be greatly appreciated.