Re: daemon: accept(6) failed errno=24 (Too many open files)

> From:  "Chris Garrigues" <cwg-oldap-sw@deepeddy.com>
> Date:  Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:55:28 -0600
>
> I've recently updated a number of things including LDAP and now my slapd has
> been freezing with this in the log fairly regularly:
>
> Dec 15 16:48:12 pecan slapd[24096]: daemon: accept(6) failed errno=24 (Too many open files)
> Dec 15 16:48:19 pecan last message repeated 2 times
>
> A restart of slapd clears the problem, but....
>
> The LDAP upgrade was from 2.0.14 (which I'd built myself) to 2.0.18-2 from the
> RedHat RPM.
>
> When this first started happening, I set threads to 64 thinking that maybe I
> didn't have enough processes or something.  Clearly I was on the wrong path
> because that didn't help.
>
> It really did seem to start happening concurrently with the update.  Any ideas?

This happened again today and I got the output of "lsof|grep ldap" which
you'll find at:

	http://www.deepeddy.com/~cwg/lsof.slapd

I'd originally tried to include it in my mail, but mojordomo rejected it for
being too big.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide me with a clue.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    The Greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
      hijacking of morality by religion.  However valuable -- even
      necessary -- that may have been in enforcing good behavior on
      primitive peoples, their association is now counterproductive.
      Yet at the very moment when they should be decoupled,
      sanctimonious nitwits are calling for a return to morals based
      on superstition.
				--- Arthur C. Clarke