ldap for addressbook

Does anyone have any advice on the pros and cons of using ldap as the
mechanism for shared addressbooks.  We are currently trying to come up
with a good solution for shared addressbooks, preferably with group
level access permissions, etc as well as individual level access
permissions.  Is LDAP likely to be the standard for this type of
application.  Also what are the best windows based tools for adding
entries to ldap servers.  We use Netscape as our email client but
unfortunately it does not allow addition of entries to ldap servers.

Thanks,
Chandra

--
Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus and content filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au