Re: OpenLDAP limitations?

Daniel Tiefnig wrote:

> (read) performance is quite ok, our slapd's run on two IBM sp2 silver
> nodes, (4  cpu each, 266MHz, and 4 slapd-processes each..) and we get
> about 200 requests per second from our services. (at max.) the whole
> thing now is truely oversized, that's 'cause we're running slapd single
> threaded, (AIX and multithreading, that's kinda like microsoft and
> opensource..) and experienced heavy performance problems during
> updates..
> backend is ldbm btw..

Recently we had to deply OpenLDAP 2 on AIX (4.3 I think); after some
fighting I succeeded in compiling it with threads and with db-3.3.11;
it passed all the tests and I was able to load the db (small load
though,
in the order of thousands of entries) and read from/write to it for a
while without significant failures.  I compiled it with gcc 2.95.2,
and needed to explicitly set -lpthread -D_THREAD_SAFE otherwise no
reasonable thread settings were automatically detected; btw, I got these
options from db3's makefile after successfully configuring it.

(Hint to users, even if I might well be reinventing the wheel:
on AIX ALWAYS use --disable-shared !!!!).

Up to your experience, do you think this is going to be dependable?

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 |