SASL woes solved

Apologies for not keeping this solution with my previous postings regarding
the question:
>SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
>Please enter your password:
>ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown error
>        additional info: unable to get user's secret

In this case, the error was being caused by an incorrect "sasl-realm"
property in my slapd.conf file.  I was pointing the property to an machine
alias, not the machine's FQDN.  However, there is a bit of history to this,
hopefully this might help some people stuck with the same problem.
1) At first I was only getting the error: ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s:
Unknown error.
And I hadn't specified the sasl-realm property.
I tried setting it after reading a post, but it didn't help (I tried setting
it to host of names).
2) Then, I re-built openldap from the source using the following flags for
SSL & SASL:
env CPPFLAGS=-I/<pathto>/<ssl-include>
LDFLAGS=-L/<pathto>/<ssl-lib>
./configure
--with-tls
--with-cyrus-sasl
--enable-spasswd
--enable-crypt
--enable-wrappers
--enable-ldbm

Thanks to the people who took time to respond to my previous questions.

Justin Schwartz
Senior Programmer
Ivory Tower Internet Solutions
+27 21 418-8230 (voice)