Supported features (controls and extension)

Hi all,
  I'm evaluating whether OpenLDAP has already implemented the
functionality that I need and that I could maybe need in the future. The
reference I've found to look for supported features are the Release Road
Map page (http://www.openldap.org/software/roadmap.html) and  the
Release Changes page
(http://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html). I still have
some doubts, so I'm wandering if there's a complete list of controls and
extension supported (in the form of : Draft XXX, Draft NNN, Draft YYY).
For my 2.0.7 version of OpenLDAP server I used a JNDI
context.getAttribute(ldap://server:port, 'supportedcontrol') to retrieve
this information and the result is :

supportedControl(: 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.2)	{Manage DSA IT LDAPv3}

Is this server interrogation the only way to do it ?

Moreover, is there a tutorial to integrate patches and personal modules
with OpenLDAP ? (I've tried to follow some discussion on devel and ITS
lists but I didn't understood how to use add-on libraries (if it's
possible) )

Thanks a lot

Luigi