What am I doing wrong?

I'm clearly doing something wrong in trying to get OpenLDAP running, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.  Here are the facts:

I'm trying to configure OpenLDAP 2.0.11 on Mandrake Linux 8.0.  This is the version of OpenLDAP that came with the CDs.  I installed everything and then started through the Quick Start Guide in the on-line documentation.  The changes I made to the slapd.conf file are shown in the attached file; in essence I just changed the dcs to reflect my domain information.

I then started the server by running the ldap script found in /etc/rc.d/init.d.  I've included the script as an attachment.

I then ran the ldapsearch command mentioned in the Quick Start Guide to check the server for proper function, which gave me the "ldap_bind: Can't connect to LDAP server" error message.  I reran the command as shown:

ldapsearch -x -v -d 3 -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' \  namingContexts > results 2>&1

to get the results file I've attached.  As you can see from that file, it appears that I can properly attach to the server, but something isn't working properly.  Oh, and I'm doing this all as root, so I doubt if permissions to any of the files is the problem.

I'd really appreciate some direction on this.  I can't help feeling that I'm missing something small but important.

Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people
Bloomsburg University     and astonish the rest.