idletimeout question openldap-2.0.11

if I leave out the idletimeout (not defining it in slapd.conf) does it immediately close the connection? is it recommended to leave it off? what are the pros and cons? I'm experiencing a lot of problems with openldap running out of file descriptors (solaris 2.7) and was thinking of increasing it but is there a way to close the ldap connection immediately? I normally just use it for web verification with auth_ldap. Here's the e-mail thread were it was suggested of adjusting the file descriptors. (Though I don't use SQUID)

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200102/msg00052.html

thanks in advance

jm